Monday, February 11, 2013

Loss of momentum

Or... Go this way... Now that way!


Back in 2009 the poor economy had a very personal affect on me. Well, who wasn't affected, right? Like so many others, I got laid off from my day job. Not one to let things get me down, I made the most of the situation and dove head first into burlesque. Keep in mind, this is Tucson we're talking about, and at that time if you had a performance opportunity once a month you were lucky! Five new acts were created during that layoff, three of those are among the best I've come up with yet. One of those acts - my Cucaracha act, I proudly performed at BHOF in 2010. Now, that's what I call making lemonade out of lemons! Man cannot live on lemonade alone though, and shortly before my BHOF experience and after 11 months of unemployment, I found myself re-employed. My newly blossoming burlesque pursuits no longer fit in a 50-60 hour work week bogged down with a commute farther than I had ever had to make before. There was little time to travel out of town, let alone work on new acts, do networking, etc. It felt like I kinda lost my momentum... Not an easy time for me, but believe me, I was very grateful for the regular paycheck. And now, thankfully, I've returned to my original employer. My hours are manageable, with a short commute and time to pursue my beloved burlesque endeavors once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment