Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mentors

(This went on my myspace blog Sunday, March 02, 2008)

Yesterday I had a unique experience, not as Stormy, but in my everyday life. I got to speak to teenage girls about what I do for a living. My role as a mentor was to encourage them to pursue careers in science and engineering. I took my role as a mentor very seriously and take great pride in the thought that I have given these young women hope that they will be successful in their pursuits.

Realizing the impact a mentor can have, I’d like to start giving a nod to my Burlesque mentors here. Since I’m not a gifted writer and am always short on time (who isn’t these days?) it’s going to take a few blog entries to get up to date. I want to spend a good deal of time telling my dear blog readers about who influenced me when I first started Burlesque, say a few words about the wonderful gals in Black Cherry, and write about performers that have visited us in the last year.

Let’s get started! First off, I want to tell you about meeting Michelle Baldwin, author of Burlesque {The New Bump and Grind}. You may also know her by her performance name Vivienne VaVoom. I’m glad I made the effort to get my tired old body out of the house and down to the Surly Wench that night. As I mentioned earlier, I had spent the afternoon at the U of A and was pretty tuckered out by all the events of the day. Meeting Michelle was very exciting and fortunately I was able to keep from slumping over face first from exhaustion!

Luckily for me, I had been given a copy of Michelle’s book. I love this book! In it you’ll find a foreword from Dixie Evans, fascinating Burlesque history, an explanation of today’s neo Burlesque scene, and fabulous photographs of Burlesque performers past and present. I brought my copy with me to the bar for her to sign - it says "Breast Wishes"... Love it. Love it!

Michelle, looking smart in a striped vintage-style dress, her blonde hair done up in pin curls had also brought her delightful friend, Jaye Furlonger (bassist in the band Nautical Disaster) along. While Jaye isn’t a Burlesque performer herself, she sure looked the part, wearing a darling polka dot dress and flowers in her jet black hair. The two of them talked about who they’ve worked with, dished some dirt, told of beautiful venues they performed at, and were both just simply wonderful to meet.

Being told stories first hand about Burlesque stars and legends was so interesting and inspiring to me! And it was great hearing about the Burlesque scene outside of my sheltered experiences here in Tucson. Thank you Michelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment